No Joke! Some say… it’s Chinese Customs!
What’s a better post on April Fools’ Day than writing about Chinese customs that my Chinese friends and I have heard!
The Chinese have a lot of customs when it comes to almost everything. These are some of the customs that I’ve heard of or have to follow. There are many variations to these customs… many of them I find are quite amusing!
- do not sit cross-legged or reach up as the umbilical cord can strangle the baby. So how does this work for mothers that practice yoga?
- leave the room if your husband is hammering or moving the furniture or your baby will be born with dents on their face. I suggest the opposite if you want your child to have dimples!
- do not eat lamb as it will cause the baby to have epilepsy(!!!)
- do not consume cold drinks (this goes for everything such as after birth or when you are having your period, it seems like old chinese ppl don’t like cold drinks at all)
- stay at home for a month (this is reasonable as this is an important time to heal)
- ginger vinegar makes up most of the meals
- taking ginger baths using the ginger skin that was peeled from the ginger used to make the vinegar
- drinking chicken-wine soup, basically cognac and silkie chicken (black chicken) – Delish!
- remain at the dining table during dinner until you have finished your meal or you will not have bladder control when you are old (!!!)
- do not consume cold drinks!
- having a one month or 100 day celebration of your baby. This used to be a tradition that applies to baby boys only but nowadays, parents would celebrate regardless of gender.