Paperwork Checklist for Canadian Moms

Here’s a checklist that you may find useful after giving birth to your baby (links included for some forms).
  • Canadian Birth Registration – this gets you the birth certificate (application will be given to you at the hospital in a package).
  • Medical Services Plan (included with the hospital package) – your child will have a MSP number assigned to him/her at the hospital.
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) (included with the hospital package) – even if you are not planning to send your child to work, he/she will need a SIN in order to have a bank account or for you to set up RESP.
  • On the form in the hospital package, there’s a box where you check off if you want to receive the child tax benefit – check YES! Your child will be automatically enrolled in the Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB), Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), the BC Family Bonus (BCFB) and the BC Earned Income Benefit (BCEIB). The UCCB is what I grew up calling ‘Milk Money’ which is $100 per month.
  • Canadian Employment Insurance – Because getting any money back from the government is good!

Optional applications:
  • Passport application – your child will need a passport even for cross border shopping. Since this is a busy time at the passport office for the summer, I plan to apply for Little Patch’s passport near the end of summer.
  • Opening a bank account – it’s never too early to help your child save money and teach them about savings and the value of money at a young age. Some banks offer childrens savings accounts. I’m not sure how that is different from adults, perhaps no fees or a free toy when you sign up.
  • Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) – savings for your child’s post-secondary education. At the time of enrollment, contributions up to $2,500 per year are eligible for a 20 per cent Canada Education Savings Grant (which is $500), up to a lifetime maximum grant of $7,200 per child. An additional grant is available for low and middle-income families; a separate application needs to be filled to receive it.
  • Work benefits – adding your child as a dependent to receive your extended/dental health and other work benefits your job offers.

Posted on June 20, 2010, in References, Tips to Make Life Easier and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: