Real Estate 101 on HGTV
After watching the HGTV for 13 months, I have learned a lot of things that would help prepare me as a real estate agent. Not that I would want to be one since I wouldn’t be able to sell a house even if it’s already sold! HGTV stands for Home and Garden TV but I rarely see any shows relating to Gardening. The closest would be the new show on the block called ‘Decked Out’.
My favourite shows include Property Virgins, House Hunters and House Hunters International. It’s actually quite infuriating to see couples complaining about how small a 300 sqft master bedroom is in the 1,500 sqft house that’s asking for $80k. I would be living like a queen in Detroit! House Hunters International is like a quickie trip to foreign countries.
Here are some things that I noticed after watching these shows:
- white folks love their double sinks and tubs.
- some people just can’t see past a paint job or simple renovation and would write off an otherwise perfectly gorgeous and well maintained home for those reasons.
- Sandra Rinomato is an expert in planting fear and panic in people. There’s an episode where she sold a home without having the couple see it first. She’s like the real estate devil in pantsuits and cardigans.
- a couple looking at houses reveals a lot about their relationship/marriage and can see who wears the pants… usually, the women. 🙂
- white kids love their trampolines (I like House Hunters because they return after the sale for updates)
- there’s always one place that’s complete crap or way out of budget, probably to put the other 2 places in a positive retrospective.
- Europe is not that expensive.
- A perfect neighbour would be Mike Holmes.
I like real estate shows a lot more than renos. I just don’t feel a connection with Sarah and Carter. Carter Oosterhouse has decent ideas for renos but I don’t trust Jinnie for the artwork. Her online portfolio is packed with impressive work but it doesn’t seem to reflect on the show (maybe she’s only limited to doing what Carter tells her to), but I would cry if I walked into my new living room to see spray-painted blue glass plates permanently glued onto my walls.
I will be returning to full-time work very shortly and feel as if my relationship with Sandra, Jodie (what happened to For Rent), and Damon will have to end because I won’t have time for them anymore.